ArKids Services: Physical Therapy
At Arkids Pediatric Day Center, our children use the necessary supports to enable them to not only move throughout the day, but also gain a sense of independence as they successfully navigate the school environment and access the curriculum. We believe that learning is enhanced by movement, therefore, our physical therapists work with each individual child to design and implement a movement plan that is tailored to their individual needs. They work to keep our children's bones and joints aligned, bodies limber, and minds attentive. Together occupational therapists, speech-language pathologist, and teachers, our physical therapists employ individualized movement plans that are included in each child's daily classroom routine.
Our physical therapists work with students both in groups and individually, whether navigating the day center building, in the classrooms, or in our physical therapy gym. Plus, all of our children have access to the most "environmentally-safe" playground in the state! Our playground includes chemical-free outdoor areas, a learning park, and playground areas with customized equipment.
We also have specialized bathroom equipment to help increase our children's independence and sense of dignity.
Arkids physical therapy program includes:
- Activities to aid in the development of gross motor skills.
- Individualized movement plans to aid in navigation throughout the classroom, day center, and community.
- Therapeutic exercises to improve muscle and joint strength, balance, coordination, and flexibility.
- Arkids has customized treadmills for partial weight gait training.
- Arkids has an inventory of walkers, standers, and powered wheelchairs.
- Use of adapted equipment, assistive technology, and orthoses to assist in mobility and independence.
- Students use standers and walkers so that they can be upright with their peers during math, science, reading, and all aspects of the curriculum.
- Providing families with information to help them manage physical disabilities.
- Providing instructions in skills that are important for lifetime fitness and involvement in recreational activities.
Arkids Pediatric Day Center also offers specialized services, such as:
- An Equipment Clinic to facilitate our children's families adapted equipment needs.
- An Orthotics Clinic to provide evaluation, consultation, and guidance with regard to the use of braces, therapeutic taping, and various orthoses.
Physical Therapy Staff
Every physical therapist at Arkids Pediatric Day Center holds an advanced degree and is a licensed professional with experience working with children. Our physical therapists have training in Neuro-Developmental Treatment (NDT). Plus, each therapist is certified by the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties as a Pediatric Clinical Specialist. The physical therapists at Arkids actively participate in continuing education and professional development activities so that they are acutely aware of and able to provide the most current, evidence-based physical therapy services. Plus, many of our physical therapists have over 25 years of experience specializing in pediatrics!